Options for obtaining a residence permit in Turkey
If you love Turkey so much that you decided to settle in this hospitable country for a long time, it’s time to think about getting an Ikamet (residence permit).
And you can do this in several ways, which will tell you below.
How to get a residence permit in 2022
First of all, you should know that in Turkey there are two types of residence permit – for a short-term stay and indefinite (long-term). Before obtaining a document will need to fill out an electronic questionnaire and undergo a special interview at the migration service (rendezvous).
What purpose should I choose for a residence permit?
For short-term residence in Turkey, the following options are suitable goals:
- Tourist – the most popular, allows you to live in the country and enjoy some of the rights of citizens for up to 1 year. However, due to changes in the Law “On Immigration”, from January 1, 2020 this type of residence for citizens of Ukraine is no longer extended. In other words, after the expiration of the residence permit will have to choose another legal way to stay in Turkey. These changes do not apply to citizens of the EU, China, Slovenia and Russia. You should also remember that as a “tourist,” you can not be officially employed. And illegal earnings can cost you fines and deportation with a ban on entry into the country.
- Family – if one family member is a citizen of Turkey or has a residence permit. It is important to note that the residence permit applies to all family members, and children are entitled to free education in school (until the age of 18). Also, a woman who marries a Turkish citizen is automatically entitled to a residence permit. This right remains with her even in the case of divorce.
- Student – you must have a contract with an institution of higher education, research institute, language courses for foreigners, or be a participant in the student exchange program. After the end of the educational program validity of the residence permit is terminated. But there is an advantage – students have the right to a legal part-time job with a 24-hour work week.
- Business – suitable for those who plan to open a firm or invest in the economy. If the amount of investment exceeds 500 thousand dollars, a foreigner can claim Turkish citizenship.
- Worker – is designed for those who plan to be officially employed. In this case, a residence permit to work, which draws up itself the employer. An undeniable advantage is the ability to earn money legally and obtain all social guarantees.
- Medical – allows you to legally stay in the country when applying to a Turkish clinic for a specialized course of treatment. In this case you will be required to obtain a medical certificate.
- Humanitarian – is intended for refugees or victims of human trafficking. The issuance of a residence permit and the period of stay in Turkey is regulated by a special body – the Migration Directorate.
Short-term residence permit is issued for a period of 6 – 24 months.
Long-term residence permit in Turkey
If you have clearly decided to go all the way to the end and become a full-fledged citizen/citizen of Turkey, the next step is to obtain a permanent residence permit.
This permit is not granted to all comers. To get it, you need to meet a number of conditions, as well as to pass a check at the migration service.
What do I need to get a long-term residence permit?
- to live in Turkey for more than 8 years
- no criminal record and no penalties
- sufficient official income (from $500 per month)
- Absence of debts, including material assistance from the state (similar to the subsidy)
not to leave the territory of Turkey for more than 1 year (in total for the whole period of residence), without a valid reason (the list is specified in the legislation)
- Availability of medical insurance and ID (analogue of tax identification number)
Having received an open-ended residence permit, the circle of your rights will be greatly expanded. However, the rights of citizens related to elections, military service, as well as some benefits will remain inaccessible.
Purchasing real estate in Turkey and residence permit
We should separately mention the acquisition of Turkish property.
Buying a villa, apartment or hotel complex, you and your family members will automatically receive a residence permit. To do this you need to contact the real estate agency and to check the availability of special license, which gives the right to conclude transactions with foreigners. This requirement of the law came into force in 2020. The good news is that you have the opportunity to make all the necessary documents, without coming to the country, and thus slightly reduce the cost of the contract of sale.
If the value of the purchased real estate exceeds $250,000 (regardless of the number of properties), you automatically get citizenship. However, the appraisal will require expertise from a special commission.
Thus, by acquiring real estate you get a double benefit – the possibility of passive income from renting out plus a residence permit, or even Turkish citizenship.